Hello, Foodie! Are you looking for a delicious and refreshing dessert to enjoy during the summer months? Look no further than this classic Key Lime Pie recipe! This dessert is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy, and the cool, creamy filling is sure to satisfy your cravings on a hot day. Follow along as we walk you through the steps to make this delightful dessert.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4-5 limes)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. To make the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl. Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
3. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Use a flat-bottomed measuring cup to press the mixture firmly into the dish.
4. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, or until it is lightly browned. Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
5. While the crust is cooling, make the filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk until well combined.
6. Add the lime juice and zest to the bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
7. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
8. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, or until the filling is set but still jiggles slightly in the center.
9. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then, chill it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
If you want to mix things up a bit, try these variations on the classic Key Lime Pie:
Coconut Key Lime Pie:
Instead of using graham cracker crumbs for the crust, use crushed vanilla wafers and shredded coconut. Add a bit of coconut extract to the filling for an extra tropical flavor.
Chocolate Key Lime Pie:
Add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the graham cracker crust mixture for a chocolatey twist. You can also sprinkle some shaved chocolate on top of the finished pie for a decadent touch.
Key Lime Tartlets:
Instead of making one large pie, use a mini muffin tin to make individual tartlets. Follow the same recipe, but divide the crust and filling among the muffin cups. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the filling is set.
Tips for Making the Perfect Key Lime Pie:
While this Key Lime Pie recipe is fairly simple to make, there are a few tips and tricks to ensure that it turns out perfectly every time. Here are some of our top tips:
Use Fresh Lime Juice:
The flavor of this pie really relies on the tartness of fresh lime juice. Avoid using bottled lime juice, as it can be bitter and dull in flavor. For the best results, squeeze your own fresh limes.
The filling of the pie should be set, but still slightly jiggly in the center when you take it out of the oven. Overbaking can cause the filling to become tough and rubbery, so keep a close eye on it as it bakes.
Let it Chill:
This pie is best served chilled, so be sure to allow it to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. This will give the filling time to set and firm up, and will also enhance the flavor and texture of the pie.
While this classic Key Lime Pie recipe is delicious on its own, there’s nothing wrong with getting creative and trying out different variations. Use your favorite type of crust, add different flavors to the filling, or experiment with toppings and garnishes. The possibilities are endless!
Health Benefits of Key Lime Pie:
While Key Lime Pie is definitely not a health food, it does have a few redeeming qualities. Here are some of the potential health benefits:
Good Source of Vitamin C:
Lime juice is a great source of vitamin C, which is important for immune system function, collagen production, and wound healing.
May Improve Digestion:
The acidity of lime juice may help to improve digestion and prevent constipation. However, the high sugar content in Key Lime Pie may counteract these benefits, so it’s best to enjoy this dessert in moderation.
May Boost Mood:
The bright, zesty flavor of Key Lime Pie may help to boost your mood and energy levels. Plus, indulging in a sweet treat every now and then can be a great way to boost your overall happiness and satisfaction.
Can I use bottled lime juice instead of fresh lime juice?
We strongly recommend using fresh lime juice for this recipe. The flavor of bottled lime juice can be bitter and dull, and may not provide the same bright, zesty flavor that fresh lime juice does.
Can I use a pre-made graham cracker crust?
Yes, you can use a pre-made graham cracker crust for this recipe if you prefer. However, we recommend making your own crust from scratch for the best flavor and texture.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this Key Lime Pie recipe ahead of time. Simply store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. We recommend allowing it to chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Can I freeze Key Lime Pie?
Yes, you can freeze Key Lime Pie. However, we recommend freezing it without the whipped cream topping, as the texture of the whipped cream can change when frozen and thawed. To freeze, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Well, Foodie, we hope you enjoyed learning more about the classic Key Lime Pie recipe. Whether you’re a seasoned pie pro or a beginner baker, this recipe is sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it. So gather your ingredients and get baking – we promise you won’t regret it!
Thanks for reading, and happy baking!